|Vertical||Financing & Fintech|
|Size||1-50 employees (LinkedIn)|
|Total equity funding||$15M|
|Last Funding Date||September 2023|
|Investors||Lowercarbon Capital (Chris Sacca), Designer Fund, Ajax Strategies|
|Location||Remote | SF|
|Website||Lumen Energy website|
|Offers climate-friendly retirement plan for employees||Unknown|
What Lumen Energy makes
Software for commercial building sustainability analysis. Helps customers evaluate, finance & deploy on-site systems, and thus generate revenue from clean energy.
Lumen Energy builds software for commercial building sustainability analysis
Lumen enables commercial buildings to generate new income from clean energy by providing software to evaluate, finance and deploy on-site systems at scale.
Role of software at Lumen Energy
The typical, non-software-enabled process to deploy on-site solar or storage takes anywhere from 6-18 months per building and can't be parallelized. Lumen is trying to help portfolio owners transform their buildings in years, not centuries.
Some of Lumen's past technical challenges include:
- Modeling detailed energy consumption of a broad variety of buildings.
- Using satellite imagery to assess a building's capacity to hold solar panels.
- Helping building owners evaluate hundreds of buildings for solar at once.
Some example projects a software engineer at Lumen might work on:
- Build a system to allow multiple engineering and procurement firms to bid on potential projects and help building owners select the best bid.
- Build a system to allow building owners to bill multiple tenants for clean energy produced on site.
- Build a project management dashboard for managing dozens of concurrent solar construction projects.
Lumen Energy's Trajectory
Lumen is growing quickly and over the next year, plans to double the team and complete dozens of new building projects.
Lumen Energy's Climate Impact
Lumen is trying to reduce the 16% of US emissions that come from commercial buildings. Their initial offering helps building owners evaluate, finance and deploy on-site solar and energy-storage, but their long-term goal is to help building owners navigate quickly and cost-effectively to net zero.